Thursday, October 8, 2015

Presentation of a 60 year pin to Bro Ewart Thornhill

What an honour I had last night, to be a part of such a momentous celebration as that of presenting a 60 year pin!  The Deputy and I, accompanied by VW Bro Russ Williams, were piped in under the wands.  The Deputy assumed the gavel, after which he passed it to me, where I thanked the Brethren on both our behalves.  The work of the evening was to initiate a candidate, Mr Kayzak into Masonry and to present a 60 year service pin to Bro Ewart Thornhill. 
A sixty year anniversary is certainly cause for celebration in any aspect of life, but especially so in Masonry.  I was proud and humbled to be asked to present this pin to Bro Thornhill.   In my final words last night I spoke to Bro Thornhill about how there were two journeys started back then in 1955; his Masonic journey in a small lodge room in  Newfoundland, and my own journey in life at the Hotel Dieu in Cornwall Ontario.
The first Degree I witnessed was very well done and was thoroughly enjoyed by the brethren.  In fact one visitor from London W Bro Christopher Mortlock, took the time in open lodge to commend the brethren of Edinburgh on the quality of their work.  He later spoke to me outside and confided that while he wanted to attend a lodge while in the city, his GPS has messed up and he got lost.  He had pretty much given up any inclination to go to lodge but for some reason, decided to try and find it one last time.   He told me that he wasn't expecting the caliber of night that awaited him and that it actually renewed his enthusiasm for the Craft.  It didn't hurt that he won the $50 gift certificate to the Swiss Chalet.
Afterwards, the festive board was a scrumptious selection of German sausages with sauerkraut, salads pickles, cheeses buns etc etc.  The dessert was a commemorative cake for Bro Thornhill. 
Again I thoroughly enjoyed myself at Edinburgh and would like to congratulate the brethren on a great night.


 The brethren  of Edinburgh Lodge, Deputy, DDGM with the newest member of Edinburgh
                       Bro Kayzan and the 60 year service pin recipient Bro Ewart Thornhill
                                                  Bro Thornhill with the Deputy and myself

                                                 Bro Thornhill and RW Paul E Todd, DGM
                          Edinburgh's newest E.A. Bro Kayzak with the Deputy, the WM, and myself

                                                      The festive board afterwards

                                                           Up Coming Events

Oct. 14, 2015 - Official Visit to St. John's Lodge in Carleton Place
Oct. 15, 2015 - Official Visit to Doric Lodge - Lodge of Discussion. Topic "Masonic Solicitation"

Oct. 22, 2015- Official Visit to Carleton Lodge in Carp. Lodge of Discussion.  Topic "How can we make our visitors more comfortable in Lodge.
Oct. 23, 2015- Official Visit to Prince of Wales Lodge. The work of the evening is an emulation of the Memorial Service

I hope to see you there


No comments:

Post a Comment